NH INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL TRIATHLON ZONE DAY
Date:Monday 5 March
Where:Long Bay Regional Park – Northern End
Time: 8.30am – 2pm
Transport: Private Cars – Students will need to organise their own transport to and from the venue.
Bring:Full P.E. uniform & shoes, swim cap, bike & helmet, sunscreen & hat, plenty of food & drink.
Your child has indicated that they would be keen to participate in the upcoming NH Schools Triathlon event. Please take note of the information in this letter and complete the registration process on the NX Online Shop.
Your child may enter this NH Triathlon as either an Individual (where they will complete all 3 courses - swim/bike and run) or as part of a team (3 athletes, of the same gender, per team - one swims, one cycles and one runs). This must be decided before registering on the NX Online Shop.
To register your child for Triathlon you will need to go to the NX Online Shop (you can find the link on the Northcross Website).A payment of $12 will be required with registration. This payment is non-refundable. Registrations close on Tuesday 20 February - 3pm.
Please note - if your child is going to compete as part of a team, they must have organised their team before registering on the Online Shop.
A separate Waiver form must also be completed - this will be given to your child to take home once registration has been completed. This must be returned by Friday 23 February.
GENERAL RULES - Please Read Carefully!
The swim will be a beach start, buoyed course, fully patrolled and safe. The biking section will be an out and back mountain bike course on grass, similar to the run. Students may enter as individuals or as a team. All bikes and helmets must be safety certified.
● This is a fun event with safety and enjoyment as our goal.
● No drafting permitted during the cycle section.
● Properly secured ANSI, SNELL or NZS approved helmets must be worn whenever a competitor is on their bicycle throughout the day.
● Swim caps must be worn during the swim section.
● THE SWIM IS IN DEEP WATER AND PATROLLED BY LIFEGUARDS. SWIMMERS MUST BE COMPETENT OVER 200 METRES swimming in SEA water. Do not enter children who have not swum that distance at the beach. There is a vast difference between swimming in the pool and sea.
● Teams will comprise of 3 of the same gender. ATHLETES CANNOT COMPETE IN BOTH INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM EVENTS .
● Team changeovers will occur within the marked Transition area after each section of the race.
● COMPETITORS ONLY will be allowed in the Transition area. NO OUTSIDE assistance is permitted.
● All competitors will be numbered on their hand at registration for identification.
RACE DAY FORMAT:
09.00 am - Course open for inspection
09.00 am - Team preparation
09.45 am - Marshall / Parent / Teacher briefing - ALL must be in attendance
10.15 am - Race Briefing for ALL competitors
10.30 am - Year 7 Boys Start
11.00 am - Year 7 Girls Start
11.30 am - Year 7 Teams Start
12.00 pm - Year 8 Boys Start
12.30 pm - Year 8 Girls start
1.00 pm Year 8 Teams Start
Year 7 Boys and Girls Swim 150m - Cycle 6km - Run 2.0 km
Year 8 Boys and Girls Swim 200m - Cycle 6km - Run 2km
ALL Teams Swim 200m - Cycle 6km - Run 2km
Swim Course Will be a buoyed course out from the beach and returning. Year 7- 150m, Year 8 and Teams – 200m.
Swim Caps must be worn. It is advisable that goggles are worn. The course will be patrolled by lifeguards.
Cycle CourseWill be an Out and Back Mountain Bike coned course.
Helmets must be worn and secure. Bikes must be checked and safe. All athletes complete 2 laps.
Run Course This will be an out and back return course on grass. Course Map will be on display at Registration.